We're dedicated to the study and preservation of the history of Durham Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. The township and its residents have played a major role in the development of the United States from the colonial era into the present.
Durham is located in the northernmost section of Bucks County. It is bordered on the East by the Delaware River at Riegelsville, on the North by Northampton County, on the South by Nockamixon Township, and on the West by Springfield Township. It is the second smallest of Bucks County townships, consisting of some ten square miles. Cooks Creek meanders down the center with hills on each side thus forming the Cooks Creek Watershed. The hills that border the township watershed have been worked as farms almost since Europeans arrived in the latter part of the seventeenth century.
Durham remains a strong farming community even today. It has a Village Center within which is a large gristmill (circa 1820) which has remained unchanged except for an add-on section since it was built. Much of the original gristmill machinery remains intact inside the timber framed structure. The mill, a registered historic property, ceased operation in 1967, and is now owned by the Township. The Durham Historical Society has its office in the mill.
Within "Durham Village" are many houses (still used as dwelling units) and a former store (now a private residence) of historical significance. The quaint, well kept houses here are reflective of the ones that existed in the 1800s.
Today, Durham has a population of about 1,313 people according to the 2000 Census (approximately a nine percent increase over the prior census of 1990). It remains modestly the same as it was found by the Europeans who first arrived here prior to 1700.
|About this web site|